2017 Graduation Information
Friday, June 9, 2017
University Wisconsin-Kohl Center
***Tickets are not required for the ceremony***
As East seniors, staff and administrators plan for the 2017 graduation ceremony and additional senior activities, students and their families are encouraged to watch for important announcements throughout the upcoming months.
Fees and Obligations
- Deadline for seniors to pay fees and turn in materials is June 7th by 3:30 p.m. with Judith Parish in room 1037. Seniors who have paid all their fees and obligations by June 9 will receive their diploma at the Kohl Center immediately following the ceremony. Students with outstanding fees and obligations on June 7th will not recieve their diploma.
- NO fees or obligations will be processed on Thursday, June 8 or Friday, June 9.
- The next available time to pay fees or return materials will be Monday, June 12.
Seniors who have outstanding fees and obligations after June 7th will receive their diploma once all fees and obligations have been paid and reconciled.
Final Senior Transcripts
Seniors are responsible for ordering final transcript to be sent to the college or university they will be attending in fall 2017. The website is parchment.com. Please allow two weeks to order your transcript, following graduation as final grades and graduation will be listed on your official transcript.
Midwest Scholastic- Cap, Gown, Tassel & Stole
- Participation in the graduation ceremony is optional. Students who choose to participate are required to wear a cap, gown, tassel and stole.
- Students who need to borrow these items due to financial constraints, should contact Emily Nevel at 608-204-1614 or stop in room 1027.
- Students who have yet to order items should purchase them directly from Midwest Scholastic via their website at: http://www.mwscholastic.com/2017-east-store
Note: Students may use caps or gowns from 2016 alums as these gowns were purchased from Midwest Scholastic. Items purchased from Jostens are not allowed.
Students who are enrolled in an alternative program and who plan to participate in the East graduation ceremony should contact Sherry Barnsley at 204-1638 or email@example.com.
Dress Code for Graduation Ceremony
- East’s graduation ceremony is a formal event with specific dress requirements. Students who are not properly dressed will not be allowed to participate.
- All students are expected to wear either a dress shirt with tie and dress pants, dress pants with a blouse, dresses, or skirts with dress blouse under their cap and gown. Dress shoes are expected to be worn with all outfits.
- Denim of any color is not allowed.
- Tennis shoes (including Converse and TOMS) and rubber flip-flops, and other casual sandals are not permitted.
- Nothing is to be worn on the gown except honor or congress cords and school related pins.
Note: Students who may need assistance in obtaining dress clothes for the ceremony should stop in room 1027 and talk to Emily Nevel, as a variety of dress clothes are available to students.
Class Picture and Rehearsal
- Graduation rehearsal is Wednesday, June 7 at 12:00 p.m. in the Spectator gym at East.
Do not be late.
- Rehearsal is mandatory for all students planning to participate in the graduation ceremony.
- The class picture will be taken immediately following the rehearsal.
- Seniors should only bring their gown (no cap) to rehearsal.
Note: There will be no extra gowns for students to use during the class picture.
- Stoles will be distributed at the rehearsal.
- Students who would like to purchase a class photo should bring the enclosed order form to the graduation rehearsal and turn it in to Empire Photography.
- The graduation ceremony will be held at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, June 9, 2017 at the Kohl Center, 601 W. Dayton Street. Doors open to the public at 4:00 p.m., tickets are not required.
- All students are expected to be at the Kohl Center by 3:45 p.m. and should enter at the Student Entrance and proceed downstairs. The graduation processional will begin promptly at 5:00 p.m.
Photography and Graduation Video
- There will be an area set up for photography on both sides of the stage.
- These areas will be clearly marked and are to be used briefly by anyone who wishes to get closer to the stage to take a picture of their graduate.
- Seating is not allowed in this space in order to provide all families an opportunity for pictures.
- Audience members are asked to stay off the main floor and away from the stage before, during and after the ceremony.
- Empire Photography will take individual graduate pictures as students cross the stage, and again as they exit the stage.
- Madison Metropolitan School District will be filming graduation. Graduation videos will be available through MMSD Media Department. Forms are available electronically at: https://www.madison.k12.wi.us/grad-dates.
- Noise makers, spray string, balloons, confetti, or other similar pranks are not allowed.
- Students with any of these items will be escorted from the ceremony by school principals and not allowed to participate in the graduation ceremony.
- Students will be screened upon entry at the Kohl Center.
- Throwing caps is not allowed.
- Parking is sold first-come, first-served, the day of the event in Lots 29, 46, 83, & 91 with handicap accessible parking sold in all lots. Parking will be available starting at 1:30 p.m. on Friday afternoon.
- There are also other parking sites within a 5-10 block walking distance to the Kohl Center. For more information on parking lot locations, and a map with parking information, visit the
UW-Madison Transportation Services website at: http://www.transportation.wisc.edu.
Additional Kohl Center Information:
- The Kohl Center does not allow any balloons or glass vases into the facility. These items will be confiscated in the entryway.
- As a complementary service, roses of various colors can be purchased at the Kohl Center before and after the graduation ceremony. Prices are $15 for a half-dozen and $25 for a dozen.
- Sign language interpreters will be located at the bottom of Section 121.
End of Year Senior Celebrations
Departmental Awards Ceremony: Wednesday, May 31 at 8:30 a.m. in the East High School Spectator Gymnasium. Ceremony will recognize students who have been selected to receive Departmental Awards. Invitations to nominated students have been mailed. All recipients should RSVP by May 30 to Michelle Galarowicz.
Please contact Michelle Galarowicz (608-204-1733 or firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
Senior Brunch: All seniors are welcome and encouraged to attend. It will take place in the cafeteria after the Departmental Awards Ceremony on Wednesday, May 31st from 9:30-10:45 a.m. Seniors are encouraged to dress up for the day. There is no cost to Senior students for this event.
Seniors will be excused through 3rd hour, but are expected to attend classes for the rest of the day.
Please contact Emily Nevel (608-204-1614 or email@example.com) with questions.
Senior Party: The Anchors Away themed party will be held Saturday, June 3, from 9:00 pm – 12:30 a.m. in the East cafeteria. All seniors are welcome; tickets are $5 and can be purchased May 16, 17 and 18 during lunch. Parents still wishing to donate or volunteer, please contact Dawn Henkel at firstname.lastname@example.org or look for details via email or text from East High School.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns as we approach our graduation ceremony and senior celebrations.
Who to Contact
Please contact any of the following staff members for questions regarding graduation and senior activities.
Randi Kubek -Asst. Principal (12th grade) email@example.com
Sherry Barnsley-Admin. Assist. 204-1638 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Michelle Galarowicz -Admin. Asst. 204-1733 or email@example.com
Emily Nevel-Admin. Asst. 204-1558 or firstname.lastname@example.org