Collaboration with Food Wise
Escalera Workshops - Academic support, workshops and field trips on careers, higher education, community leadership and cultural identity to help students reach their goals.
Cafe Estudiamxs (Escalera Homework Club)
What is the Escalera Program?
Escalera provides services for Latinx 19th-12th graders by promoting economic mobility through greater academic success, career awareness and college preparation. Also, the program encourages parent engagement via workshops and case management. We achieve our goals though:
- Academic support through one-on-one mentoring and tutoring
- Culture and career workshops
- Guest speakers
- Field trips
- Parent support through conferencing and workshops
The students have the opportunity to take advantage of Escalera during the summer if they complete the school program’s requirements. They will participate in an internship and receive a $500 scholarship. The internship is a unique experience in which the students can explore a career and learn basic professional skills.
The Escalera program operates in East High School with the support of MMSD, United Way, the city of Madison, Dane County and the National Council of la Raza.
All Escalera participants must:
- Be active participants when learning about careers and colleges, and cultures different from their own
- Treat all students, teachers, and guests with respect
- Respect themselves and ask for help when needed
- Attend at least 80% of all Escalera workshops during the school year
About Centro Hispano
Centro Hispano works to improve the quality of life for Latinos and others living in Dane County by empowering youth, strengthening families, and engaging the community. We offer a variety of youth programs that develop the students’ knowledge of different careers, colleges, and cultures, while adult services include programs to navigate the judicial system, find employment, or provide general advocacy and language assistance.