The Madison Metropolitan School District Athletics Program is considered an integral part of the secondary educational program. Our vision is that MMSD athletics provides equitable programming opportunities that support the District’s vision to prepare all students for college, career, and community.
Athletics play an integral role in community building and identity of Madison schools and support the development of commitment, reliability, honesty, integrity, accountability, and perseverance in each of our student athletes. Through participation in co-curricular athletics programs, students strive to become better students, athletes, leaders, and citizens.
Our purpose is to provide unique educational experiences that will contribute to the development of better citizens. Emphasis is upon the teaching "through" athletics in addition to teaching the "skills of" athletics.
The Madison athletic program provides a wide range of opportunities for all students who desire to participate in Interscholastic athletics at Madison high schools.
East Purgolder Athletics
If your child will be participating on any of East’s athletic teams, you and your son or daughter will be required to sign a form on the Athletic Permit Card indicating that he/she desires to participate in interscholastic athletics and will adhere to the policies of the Athletic Code which are in effect twelve months of the year. East’s Athletic Code puts great emphasis on parental involvement. In fact, any Code violation that is self or family reported to any East staff member, prior to staff awareness of the violation, may result in up to a 50% reduction of the normal suspension penalty. Because our Code places a high premium on honesty and integrity, it is very important that you take the time to read and discuss the Athletic Code section of the Student, Staff and Parent Handbook at the beginning of the sports season. It would also be beneficial to discuss within your family the section entitled “Athletics – Spectator Behavior.”
Interested in Playing at East?
For information and updates on upcoming sports seasons, fill out the Madison East Athletics 2021-2022 Interest Form or contact the coach directly. Please share your preferred email address for information about off-season and summer activities as it becomes available and updates on 2021-2022 school year timelines and dates related to Athletics.
What do I need in order to sign up for a sport?
- Athletic Eligibility Forms - online forms for sport registration- one copy from parent/guardian, one copy from student-athlete- must sign in using IC and Parent Portal credentials
- WIAA Physical Card and Alternate Year Card - download and print- exact same content as Green and Yellow cards in Athletics Office- you DO NOT need to fill out the same card if you have printed/filled out these forms!
- Review - What do I need in order to play?
Student Athlete Study Tables
- Athletic Code All families and student-athletes are responsible for making themselves familiar with these expectations.
- East Athletics Schedule
- Booster Club
- Follow East Athletics on Twitter
Coach: Jeremy Thornton
- Girls Tennis
Coach: Andrew Johnson
- Boys Soccer
Coach: Kyle Koenig
- Girls Golf
Coach: Tina Lindsey
- Girls Swim
Coach: Jen Foster
- Cross Country
Coach: Matt Peters
Coach: Louis Lang
- Boys Volleyball
Coach: Matt Filteau
Coach: Franco Marcos
- Dance Team
Coach: Quasia Thomas
The vast majority of our student-athletes didn't get a season in during the 2020-2021 school year and didn't have a chance to make sure their physical was up to date. Any student-athlete with an expired physical won't be able to practice or play until they are able to get a new one, which can sometimes take several days or weeks to schedule during the back-to-school rush.
Pivotal Health is a new urgent care and primary care provider in the Madison area that is offering free sports physicals at patients' homes for any Madison-area high school student this summer.
To schedule a time for a clinician to do a sports physical, call 888-688-4746. Mention the patient is a MMSD student and there is no charge for the visit.
Go to https://pivotalhealth.care/ for more information.
Getting a physical over the summer immediately eliminates one of the main obstacles to participation at the beginning of every season - please take advantage of this unprecedented opportunity for our school community!
MMSD Athletics Covid Health and Safety Guidance For The Fall Season:
- MMSD Athletics will follow PHMDC School Guidelines related to screening, quarantining. and suspension of group activities.
- WIAA and public health guidance will be followed and continue to be updated
- Vaccination is strongly recommended.
- Students who are NOT vaccinated who have a COVID exposure will be required to quarantine (removed from practice and games) for 10 days.
- Vaccinated Student-Athletes who have a COVID exposure will not be required to quarantine (removed from practice and games).
- All existing mitigation procedures will stay in place regarding hygiene, screening, contact tracing, and record keeping of participants.
- Masking is required at all times during any transportation via bus, van, rental vehicle.