4 items are required to participate in the graduation commencement ceremony at the Kohl Center: a cap, gown, tassel, and stole. Orders were due in December. Late orders can be placed for an additional charge. The late order total for the 4 required items is $57.98 + $9.95 shipping +$3.74 tax = TOTAL $71.67.
- Place a late order online with a debit or credit card
- If you are unable to pay with a credit/debit card, please contact Midwest Scholastic for next steps.
Payments must be made directly to Midwest Scholastic, East High School will NOT accept payments.
ALL QUESTIONS ABOUT ORDERS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED DIRECTLY TO MIDWEST SCHOLASTIC at email@example.com.
The gold satin stoles will be distributed at the June 8th rehearsal/class photo.
Students may use caps, gowns, and stoles from East alumni and purchase tassels ala cart, if desired. Students who may need to borrow a cap and gown package should connect with their Neighborhood Principal, School Counselor, School Social Worker or other Student Services Staff. Seniors who borrow attire from the school can return it to staff at the Kohl Center after the ceremony to receive their diploma. Seniors can also keep their items over the weekend for photos and return the items to receive their diploma at our in-person Summer School site, Blackhawk Middle School, Monday-Thursday between 7:45am-12:00pm (please email or call ahead: firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-204-4361).
Students will be allowed to adorn their sashes with pins that signify an accomplishment they achieved during high school (e.g. AVID, PEOPLE, TEEM Scholars, Early College STEM Academy Graduates, etc). Stoles for MMSD programs such as BSU and other MMSD clubs/programs can also be worn with building principal approval, but the school stole must be laid over any other being worn. It is preferred that students don't decorate their caps; however, if students choose to do so, if the decorations become a disruption to the ceremony, the student's cap will be taken and returned at the end of the ceremony. A student has the right to wear religious, ceremonial, or cultural adornments at graduation as long as it is not likely to cause a substantial disruption of, or interference with, the ceremony.
The East High School Commencement Ceremony will take place at the Kohl Center on Friday, June 9th, 2023 at 5:00pm.
- Participation Eligibility: Before a student is issued a diploma, School Counselors must verify that they have met all graduation requirements. School Counselors will be working closely with teachers to make sure students are passing and will reach out to students/families that are in danger of not passing a course required to graduate. A senior with 20.5 credits earned by June 7th may participate in the Commencement Ceremony with the understanding that graduation will not officially occur until 22 credits have been earned. Students having earned less than 20.5 credits will not be allowed to participate in the Commencement Ceremony. If you have any questions or concerns about credits, please see your counselor to get clarification as soon as possible.
- Map: This Kohl Center Map shows where graduates and families should enter.
- Seating: Family and guest seating is first come first serve, tickets are not required and there is no limit on the number of guests per graduate.
- Entrance: Doors at Gate A on Dayton Street open for graduates, families and guests at 4:00pm. Graduates should be at the Kohl Center no later than 4:30pm in the required graduation attire (gown, stole, cap, tassel). Graduates should enter through the student gate entrance (on Dayton Street to the right of Gate A) and proceed downstairs where they will line up alphabetically. Students will go through security screening at the student entrance. If possible, students should be dropped off, or please plan ahead for altered traffic patterns due to construction and time to walk. Note: Students who arrive late will be placed at the very end of the processional and will not be seated in alphabetical location.
- Student Attire: 4 items are required to be worn for the Commencement Ceremony: Gown, Stole, Cap, Tassel. Stoles will be distributed to all Seniors at the Rehearsal on Thursday, June 8th, 2023. There are no pockets in the gowns, so students should leave ALL valuables, money, cell phones, purses, wallets, etc. with family or friends. Seniors who borrow attire from the school can return it to staff at the Kohl Center after the ceremony to receive their diploma. Seniors can also keep their items over the weekend for photos and return the items to receive their diploma at our in-person Summer School site, Blackhawk Middle School, Monday-Thursday, June 20 - July 27, between 7:45am-12pm.
- Prohibited Items: Please see the Kohl Center Carry In Policy. Note that metal detectors will be in place at the Kohl Center. No inflatables (including balloons), noise makers, or glass vases.
- Accessibility: The ceremony will be fully accessible including American Sign Language Interpretation (located near section 121), closed captioning and wheelchair and wheelchair companion seating scattered through the main level concourse (100 level) and the upper level (200 level). The top two rows of chairs in the 100 level will be reserved for those that can handle some chairs, and the Kohl Center will also have ADA platforms that will allow those individuals with wheelchairs. For seating in the 200 level, please note that due to construction the Kohl Center does not have access to the Gate B elevator. For any guests that need elevator assistance, they will need to use the one that is located at Gate A. The drop-off location for the Kohl Center is on Dayton Street directly in front of the building at Gate A. Due to staffing shortages with UW Guest Services, wheelchairs will not be available to assist individuals in getting from the Dayton Street drop-off location to the Kohl Center seating area.
- Parking: Carpooling is encouraged as parking is limited. Visit UW's Event Parking website for more information. Please plan ahead for altered traffic patterns due to construction and time to walk.
- Photography: Audience members are not allowed on the main floor before, during or after the ceremony. There will be areas set up for photography on both sides of the stage. These areas will be clearly marked and are to be used briefly by anyone who wishes to get closer to the stage and take a picture of their graduate. Seating is not allowed in this space in order to provide all families an opportunity for pictures. Empire Photography will take individual graduate pictures as students cross the stage, and again as they exit the stage. Empire will email you the ordering information.
- Video: The ceremony will be recorded and livestreamed on the MMSD YouTube page.
- Post-Ceremony and Diploma Pick-Up: Diplomas will be distributed after the commencement ceremony at the Kohl Center where students lined up to those students who have successfully completed all graduation requirements. Family members and guests will not be allowed in the diploma pick-up area. Graduates will exit the Kohl Center immediately after diploma pick-up. Family and friends of graduates should meet and celebrate with students in front of the Kohl Center at the main entrance at Gate A. Students who borrowed a gown/cap/stole/tassel are welcome to keep the items over the weekend for photos, but will only receive their diploma upon returning all borrowed items. Diplomas that are not picked up that evening will be available to pick up at our in-person Summer School site, Blackhawk Middle School, Monday-Thursday, June 20 - July 27, between 7:45am-12pm.
Commencement Ceremony Rehearsal & Senior Class Photo
All Seniors should attend the Graduation Ceremony Rehearsal and Senior Class Photo (in their gowns - stoles will be distributed at this time) on Thursday, June 8th, 2023 at 10:00am in the Field House at East High School. Seniors can order a Senior Class Photo directly from Empire Photography.
Seniors will visit the Spec Gym with their English class throughout the day on Friday, May 5th, 2023 to fill out their name reader card for the ceremony, sign up for Summer Melt, check for overdue fees, ensure they completed the Post High Survey App and Civics Exam Graduation Requirement, receive their class t-shirt, and receive their cap/gown/stole/tassel from Midwest Scholastic. Seniors who weren't able to attend the Senior Fair can stop by Office 1025 before school, during lunch, or after school to complete these tasks and receive these items.
Senior Scholarship Recognition
Seniors receiving East High School scholarships will be recognized in the Theater on Thursday, June 1st, 2023 at 6:00pm. Seniors and their families are invited to attend the recognition ceremony.
Senior Brunch & Awards
On Friday, June 2nd, 2023 all Seniors are invited to the Theater at 8:30am for Senior Awards, followed by a brunch in the Spec Gym. Yearbooks will be distributed to Seniors who purchased them during the brunch. This event is for students only.
Class of 2023 diplomas will be available for pick up at the Kohl Center after the Graduation Ceremony. Diplomas that are not picked up on the evening of the ceremony will be available to pick up at our in-person Summer School site, Blackhawk Middle School, Monday-Thursday, June 20 - July 27, between 7:45am-12pm.
Chromebook Return & Google Account Transfer
Seniors must turn in their Chromebook and charger to Ms. Milne-Carroll in the LMC by June 1st. Student MMSD Google Accounts (including Google Drive and Gmail) will be shut down soon after graduation. Seniors should email or share any items they wish to save with their personal account and then promptly make a copy and transfer ownership.
All colleges and universities require a final transcript to be submitted after 2nd semester grades are submitted and finalized. Students are responsible for sending their final transcript to the college or university they will be attending through their established Parchment Account. Students should go to parchment.com to request a final transcript. This electronic service allows you to order transcripts online at any time and track the status of requested transcripts.
Here are the Steps for Sending Final Transcripts:
Students need to send final transcripts through Parchment.com
1) Log in to your Parchment.com Account (you can retrieve user name or password, if you have forgotten these)
2) Click on Order
3) Type in the name of the School you will be attending
4) Switch where it says "send now" to "Hold for Grades"
5) Click continue and submit payment.
- Students who haven't used their 4 free transcripts will not be charged.
- Students who have already used their waivers will be charged $4.40 (need a credit/debit card to pay)
Transcripts will then be released by our registrar once final transcripts have been updated which usually takes place around June 15.
Class of 2023 Senior Portraits
Seniors have the option to submit a portrait to be featured in the yearbook instead of using their LifeTouch photo taken at school. Please be aware that many seniors have family or friends take their photos for free; some are taken with phones. Please do not spend large amounts of money for professional photos.
Deadline: Friday, November 4, 2022
Submission Instructions: Email portraits meeting the below criteria as an attachment to Ms. April van Buren, the yearbook adviser, at aLvanBuren@madison.k12.wi.us with the student's name and student ID number. Photos should be:
- Vertical (at least 4”X 6”)
- Without props, face-covering filters or complicated backgrounds
- Follow MMSD dress code
- A high resolution digital image (at 300 ppi/dpi)
- In file format of: .JPG, TIFF, PNG or PDF
- Do not send screenshots or Snapchat photos - they do not print well even though they often look great on a computer or phone screen.
Class of 2023 Senior Tributes
Purchasing a Senior Tribute is a great way to honor graduates, or group of graduates (such as a soccer team, group of best friends etc.) with photos and a special message in the Yearbook that will last a lifetime. Four sizes are available:
- 1/8 page tribute, $35, max 1 pictures allowed, max 20 words allowed
- 1/4 page tribute, $60, max 3 pictures allowed, max 50 words allowed
- 1/2 page tribute, $110, max 6 pictures allowed, max 125 words allowed
- Full page tribute, $220, max 10 pictures allowed, max 175 words allowed
Payment options available.
Deadline: Friday, December 16, 2022
Submission Instructions (3 options):
- Order online at https://yearbookforever.com/ & have the yearbook staff design the ad for you. (Confused? Watch the first 45 sec. of this how-to video; select “have the school design my ad”)
- Order online at https://yearbookforever.com/ & design the tribute with our easy online design tools. (Confused? Watch this 2 min. how-to video)
- Complete the order form (COMING SOON) and submit it along with photos (you may email photos too).
Completing this East High Scholarship Application makes students eligible for 100+ scholarships made possible by very generous donors from our east side community! The application takes about an hour to complete. The deadline to complete the application is Friday January 20th, 2023.
East High Scholarship Application Information