Volunteer & Community Service Hours
Service and volunteerism seeks to enrich the lives of others through dedicating one’s own time to make a difference. The willingness to work for the benefit of those in need without compensation or recognition of any kind is a quality that is essential to the growth of an individual. The purpose of service does not exist to only satisfy a requirement, but to genuinely help others.
As students volunteer throughout the summer and school year, they should track their hours each time they volunteer. Students who need assistance tracking their hours, may use this sample tracking form.
East staff members are not responsible for tracking or recording any service hours completed by students. This includes any hours earned through Independent Study.
Looking for information specific to the National Honor Society? Go to the East National Honor Society page.
The Service ‘E’ Recognition Award
East High School’s Service ‘E’ Award is the oldest, non-academic award granted to students who have demonstrated volunteerism and service to others without financial or academic compensation. Pins are awarded based on the total number of accumulated hours beginning the summer prior to 9th grade year. Seniors who have accumulated 100 hours or more will receive the Service ‘E’ Pin to wear at the Graduation Commencement Ceremony.
In order to receive the Service 'E' Award, Seniors must submit their service hours using the online form after they achieve the total number of hours required. Students who do not submit their hours through this form will not receive recognition. All hours for the 2022-2023 award must be submitted by Friday, May 5th, 2023.
Guidelines for Service Hours
Hours may be earned for:
- Volunteering as a tutor
- Volunteering as a coach
- Volunteering at a community library, senior center, historical society, recreation department, youth center, etc.
- Participation in service projects with an EHS clubs or organizations (NHS, BSU, Key Club, Student Congress etc.)
- Volunteering with charity organizations (e.g. United Way, or other philanthropic organizations)
- The service portion of mission trips
- Civic engagement
- Work with Habitat for Humanity and Meals on Wheels
- Volunteering at soup kitchen, food pantry, shelters etc.
- Volunteering in nursing home or other senior assistance
- Volunteering as a Teachers Assistance (must have Independent Study form completed by guidance counselor)
This is not an exclusive list; many other examples of service may qualify.
Hours may not be earned for:
- Any service with a material or monetary reward
- Participation in athletics (including acting as a manager of a team)
- Court-mandated community service hours
- Fundraising for Madison East High School clubs, sports or organizations
- Hours helping a family member in a role that typically any family member would do, e.g. babysitting for a sibling, household chores, etc.
- Hours worked before June 1, 2019
Please check with the main office if you have specific questions regarding service hours.
Once the total amount of required hours have been achieved, submit service hours for the Service 'E' award through this Google Form by Friday, May 5th, 2023.
Sample Tracking Form
Volunteer & Community Service Hours Sample Tracking Form (for personal use, does not need to be turned in)
Additional Opportunity - Wheels For Winners
A local Eastside business, Wheels For Winners is eager to give away bikes to East students who does 15 hours of community service through their Earn A Bike Program. Wheels for Winners accepts donated bikes of all sizes and styles and refurbishes them to give away to anyone who does 15 hours of community service. Simply complete 15 hours of community service, fill out the 2 page form (English and Español), and turn it in to Wheels For Winners, located at the corner of Atwood and Fair Oaks (Monday/Wednesday/Thursday 12:30-4:00pm; Monday/Tuesday/Thursday 6:00-8:00pm). The applicant can then pick out a bike and they will provide a free new helmet and bike lock along with a free Madison bike registration.
229 South Fair Oaks Avenue, Madison, WI 53704, 608.249.2418