Welcome to Ninth Grade
Below you will find resources to guide you through the transition to high school.
First Day Orientation
Thursday, September 2nd, 2021 is the first day of school for 9th grade students (the Class of 2025) and is reserved for only 9th and 10th grade students. This will be a day of acclimation with activities to support 9th graders getting to know the building and High School. The day will consist of a building tour, getting to know East activities, and a shortened class schedule so students can find their classes. Students will receive their locker assignments on this day as well.
East High School is structured with “Small Learning Community Neighborhoods.” These Neighborhoods (Olbrich, Tenney, Warner, and Yahara) do not correlate with where families physically reside, but are assigned randomly. Within each neighborhood, students are supported by an Assistant Principal, Administrative Assistant, Counselor, Social Worker, Psychologist, Dean of Students, and Nurse and ideally these connections will stay the same during a students’ four years at East. East’s Neighborhood structure offers opportunities for student-to-student and student-to-staff relationships leading to students’ becoming personally involved in and taking responsibility for their own education. The result of students’ feeling a part of the school’s academics and activities is increased chances for success both in and out of the classroom. A full list of all staff by neighborhood can be found here.
Class of 2025 students and families were emailed their Neighborhood assignments and a Neighborhood Welcome Message on August 27th, 2021.
Neighborhood Welcome Messages 2021
An Introduction To 9th Grade At East High School
- MMSD High School Options For 8th Grade Families To Consider Overview Video
- MMSD High School Options For 8th Grade Families To Consider Overview Presentation Slides
- MMSD High School Options For 8th Grade Families To Consider Overview Handout
- East High's Personalized Pathways Website
- Personalized Pathways Presentation (with audio) (en español) - This slide show has audio options for each slide and will give you more information about our Pathways program.
- Personalized Pathways Application (deadline is January 15, 2021)
- East High's AVID Website (application opens on January 4th, 2021, deadline to apply is January 21st, 2021)
- AVID Presentation (with Audio) (en espanol) - This slide show has audio options for each slide and will give you more information about our AVID program.
- AVID Application (English)
- AVID Application (Spanish)
- AVID Application (Hmong)
- Staff Recommendation Form
Dual Language Immersion (DLI)
Questions about the transition from 8th to 9th grade? Contact East's 9th Grade On Track Coordinator, Tom Kanies, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-204-1683.
Para preguntas en español, se puede comunicar con la Sra. Silvia Gomez al 608-204-1624 o email@example.com, o la consejera escolar bilingüe, Robin Murphy-Sinha, al 608-561-7370 (llamadas o textos) o firstname.lastname@example.org.