Eastside Players 2020-2021 Welcome Video (What is it, how do you get involved?)
Spring 2021 Virtual Musical
We are excited to announce the East High musical theatre production for the Spring of 2021. The Eastside Players will produce a virtual musical production of As You Like It by Shaina Taub, based on the play by William Shakespeare. This will be presented virtually and available for streaming for the public at the end May. Auditions for the production will be held via Zoom on Wednesday, March 17th and Thursday March 18th from 4:00-6:00pm. Callbacks will be Friday, March 19th with times TBD.
- Please use this FORM to sign up for auditions. You do not need to specify a time, just join one of the meetings.
- All performers will sing the same musical selection to audition. We will email you the accompaniment track next week. The selection is from the song "Prologue: All the World's a Stage" and we will sing the beginning verse until about :55 on the demo track on the bandcamp website (we are anxiously awaiting music and librettos to arrive in the mail). As You Like It on bandcamp (name your own price to purchase): https://shainataub.bandcamp.com/album/as-you-like-it
- To audition, you simply need to practice the song and attend one of the audition Zoom meetings. Actors will be individually invited to a breakout room to sing the song and chat with Mr. H.-S. and Mr. Milisch. Please use this LINK to attend an audition on 3/17 or 3/18.
- Actors will not be asked to read sides from the show, but I will be sending a video explaining the context of the selection and the piece in general: act the song!
- If you cannot attend the auditions for any reason, please contact me and we can set up another time or a plan to submit a video audition.
- There will be additional musical selections distributed for callbacks after auditions. There is a very brisk turnaround for callbacks, so please monitor your email. We will email callback assignments after auditions on 3/17 and 3/18.
- Students interested in working in a technical area should fill out the audition form. Students interested in tech do not need to attend the audition times.
- This production will require actors to do a substantial amount (more than with a typical production) of preparation and rehearsal on their own time asynchronously. With that idea in mind, please watch these videos to understand the story and spirit of this musical:
- Crash course videos on the plot of As You Like It:
- Royal Shakespeare production: All the world's a stage monologue:
- Videos of Public Theater production:
- As You Like It on bandcamp (name your own price to purchase): https://shainataub.bandcamp.com/album/as-you-like-it
Questions? Contact Paul Milisch, Producing Director of Theatre, firstname.lastname@example.org
East High School Theatre is proud to present Alone, Together December 10-13. The performance will be available to stream online at any time during the virtual run.
In March of this year, as California entered a stay at home order due to the coronavirus pandemic, UC Santa Barbara’s LAUNCH PAD commissioned 24 distinguished playwrights to pen monologues and short plays inspired by the prompt “Alone, Together” and written to be performed in a video conference. The production explores the challenges, isolation, and impact of living during a global pandemic. This production will be the regional premiere of Alone, Together.
All tickets are $5 and can be purchased online. We do not want anyone to be deterred by ticket pricing. There is a simple form for all students, staff, and community to use to request a complimentary ticket.
Please contact Paul Milisch with any questions.
Thank you for supporting the work of our East High theatre artists.
UPDATE 12.18.20: East High Theatre students participated in the State level of The Wisconsin High School Theatre Festival last weekend. Students were able to participate in workshops, see other productions from across the state, and meet with representatives from college theatre programs. In addition to this programming, the show was also adjudicated by three professional theatre artists. As well as receiving the All-State Award for making it to the final round of the festival, the cast/crew were also given the following awards from the judges: Outstanding Ensemble, Excellence in Technical Theatre, and Excellence in Direction. CONGRATULATIONS THEATRE STUDENTS!
by David Campton
A Wisconsin High School Theatre Festival Production
Friday, October 18 and November 1 at 7pm
East High Preview Performances
Saturday, October 19 (Time TBD)
District Performance at Middleton Performing Arts Center
February 21 and 22, 2020 at 7pm
A night of student-written sketch comedy and live music.
May 1-9, 2020
Music and Lyrics by Mark Hollman
Book and Lyrics by Greg Kotis
Contact Paul Milisch, Producing Director of Theatre, email@example.com