COVID-19 Update From The Department of Workforce Development:
You may have heard that the Governor signed an executive order that changes some of the work permit requirements during the state of emergency. This update is to bring you up to speed on the changes. Please keep in mind that these changes are all temporary and we will return to our prior practices after the state of emergency is lifted.
The Executive Order does the following:
- Waives the requirement that new employees under age 16 obtain a work permit prior to starting employment.
- Instead, employers can send information to our work permit email box email@example.com. This information includes
- An attestation that they have reviewed the minor's proof of age and social security documents (but employers should not send us copies of these documents);
- The offer letter from the employer, and;
- The permission letter or countersignature from the parent or guardian.
- ERD will decline to enforce the permit requirement during the state of emergency.
- Employers will have 30 days after the state of emergency to acquire permits for all workers and to pay all applicable fees.
- The order does not change the current legal requirements for hours per day or time of day, nor does it make any change to prohibited or hazardous employment rules. We will continue to enforce these rules during the emergency.
The Equal Rights Division will follow up with employers after the state of emergency has been lifted. This will likely include a mass email that will remind them that they have 30 days to acquire work permits for the minor employees.
If you have any questions, please contact Matthew White, Director, Bureau of Investigations, Equal Rights Division, Department of Workforce Development.
General Work Permit Information when school buildings are open:
Work Permits are processed during the school day as a courtesy to East students for the State of Wisconsin. As of June 23, 2017, 16 & 17 year old minors do NOT have to obtain a work permit.
Permit requests received before 8:15am will be available for pick up at lunch. Requests dropped off after 8:15am may not be available until after school, or the next school day. Students should bring the following items to room 1037.
Our office closes at 4:00pm - all requests from non-East students should be made before 3:00pm for the permit to be issued that day. (During the summer the office is open from 8am-2pm, please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to receive the permit that day)
Items required for a work permit (all documents must be original - no photocopies will be accepted):
1. Proof of age: One of the following - minor's birth certificate, State ID card, or passport
2. Minor's social security card
3. Written letter from the employer on their letterhead expressing intent to hire (must have minor’s name on letter), describing job duties & hours of work
4. Written parent consent
5. $10.00 permit fee – cash or check payable to East High School
For more information, visit the State of Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development website.